Saturday, December 23, 2006

Tannoy with Pye Mozart HF10







To generate some funds for my Western Electric 124 amplifiers plus the fact that I am planning to move my apartment at the end of the month and to avoid damage of the vintage amplifiers, I have sold some of my favourite amplifiers.
One of the amplifiers which I originally intended to sell is my Pye Mozart HF 10. However, not many audiophiles knew about the amplifiers so I have decided to "hand carry" the amplifier back to Singapore via Malaysia together with the Chi Ping speakers and other items for my audiophiles friends in KL. Even though the parcels were heavy, the smile in my friends faces are very rewarding indeed.
In the mean time, I have decided to use the Pye Mozart HF 10 with my Tannoy Cantebury for my living room and leave the Western Electric KS16608 + Marantz 7 + Rogers 15 ohms LS3/5a for the study room, until a right buyer comes along..someone who really appreciate single ended amplifiers and understand vintage amplifiers..

As I have not played with the Tannoy for about 2 months as a result of "packing" and "shipping", the music was a little cold initially. After several days of playing, the familiar smooth music began to return. Even though the Pye Mozart HF10 is only 8 watts, it is sufficient to feed the rather high efficient speakers and the muisc was great. Moreover, the rectangular shape living room and with sufficicent depth has allowed the tannoy to be played in a better environment then in Hong kong where my living room was diamond in shape.

It is ,therefore, true that the most expensive part of the "hifi" is the listening environment. With a good room structure and size, it is easier for one to achieve good sound from the system. Secondly, the amplifiers system must be able to match the speakers. Thirdly, I have always believe that any vintage amplifiers must be fully restored in order to be able to listen to the amplifiers true music which is why I have to buy 2 Marantz 7 in order to find one in best working as well as cosmetic condition; 2 pair of Western Electric KS 16608 in order to get one in perfect set; 3 set of TL12.1 in order to get one good set.etc... The process of "upgrading" was very troublesome but that was the only way for one to keep the same number of system but focus on QUALITY rather then QUANTITIES..where less is more. Unless the buyer is an audiophiles who appreciate what they are buying..I rather keep the amplifiers until the RIGHT onwner comes..

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Francis,

Really can see that you appreciate vintage audio beauties.There are not too many who can keep this going for long. I guess this is very much depends on how passionate you're either in tuning your set or competing with your friends to see who can spend more.haha..

Well I'm very impress with PYE and WE amps that you can find and of course not forgetting the Tannoy red that you have beautifully place in your living area.

I still have quite a long way to learn to on vintage tubes gadgets but I guess it must have been the fire like passion to keep us knowing more and appreciate the work of the electrons bouncing in side the old pre war vacuum tube.

Superb site for hobbist like us...

Simply Awesome..to see the pictures..hope to hear it myself someday.

Cheers and have a really happy year!!

Francis Phua said...

Thanks Grephen for your kind comments!

I like vintage amplifiers and speakers as they are nice items really built to last for generation! In addition, many of the items have very distict charateristics and sound.

I wonder how many of the current hifi system that are currently under production is able to withstand the test of time (say about 40-50 years and still sound good?)..

Enjoy! Cheers and Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Hi Francis is there any way to find another pair of PYE HF10 Mozart? Plz email me back jcmisshome@hotmail.com thanks alot!