Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tannoy Mini Autograph Vs. Pioneer Pure Malt







After I have shipped my vintage Tannoy speakers back home to Singapore, I listened to my Western Electric 755a for most of the time. The 755a is superb in its mid and is excellent for playing vocal and light instrumental music.
There are days when I missed my Tannoy when coming to Orchestra music and music that will produces large sound stage. Along the way, there are two pairs of seakers which captured my attention namely the Pioneer Pure Malt speakers using 150 years old re-cycled whiskey drum wood and the Tannoy Autograph Mini. The retail price for the Pioneer is HK$5000+ while the Tannoy is being retail at HK$17,000. I have audition both and both I must say is impressive speakers with sufficient base for its size.
In the end, my heart gave in to the pair of Tannoy Autograph Mini as its ability to produce a wider soundstage is something many other speakers cannot compete. Moreover, when handling multiple instruments being played at the same time, the Pioneer Pure Malt seemed a bit strained.
I know I shouldn't buy anything this year but the seller gave me a very good price I could not say no. To compensate for the money spent, I will eat cheap hawker food for the rest of the month!
One has to sacrifice for the sake of music. : )

No comments: