Monday, September 17, 2007

Western Electric 274b rectifier tubes experience

Previously, I was reluctant to spend too much money into getting expensive NOS tubes. However, good NOS tubes (which may be expensive) especially Western Electric tubes also mean good sound, in return!
Last evening, I was very eager to try my new WE274b tubes in my WE124b. With these beauties, I can feel more warm, more details, and more musical music when the amplifiers are being played with the WE274b.
When I removed the WE274b and change it back to the GEC U52 , I can immediatley feel the drop in teh level of details and refinement. Nevertheless, U52 being 1/8 the price of the WE274b, one could not really complain as the percentage of "gain" is probably around 20-30% more...not exactly proportionalto the costs vs. performance ratio.
Nevertheless, being able to use WE350b tubes + WE 274b tubes in the WE124b amplifiers is truly a joy! I am glad that I have sold off most of my other spare amplifiers so as to be able to maximize my time (and cash) with the WE124b amplifiers...which I hope to give to my son when he grew up....
The Rogers Gold Badge is singing bettter and better each days as it gets its daily warm up! Many has asked me what is the different betweeen the Rogers Gold badge vs. the Rogers white belly, and the Chartwell. If I could summarise it in one sentence, I think the gold tag is slightly better in everything (details, warm, soundstage etc)..when comparing it with the other LS3/5a.
Enjoy!

No comments: