Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pye HF S20 Mozart EL34 single-ended amp

April 2006:
To find a suitable amplifier for my new RCA full range speakers, I have started the search once again.
I was told that the full range RCA speakers will be best driven by a 300B amplifier or a 2A3. Unforunatley, the vintage Western electric 300B amplifiers are expensive and the 2A3 amplifiers are hard to find.
Without much option, I have decided to try a single ended amplifier - the HF S20. It is a stereo version of the HF10M, using one power transformer to power both the left and right channels. The amplifier looks odd, as the EL34s are mounted horizontally rather than the normal vertical arrangement. This is the firts time I am using the single ended amplifiers as my previous amsp were push-pull.
The amplifier is in its original condition which needs a thorough cleaning... This will be my project for the night....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And the result was?