Sunday, August 26, 2007

Less & Less equipement & more and more time for music

I am letting go for my AR3 speakers this coming Wednesday as I have found out that to drive the AR3 to its optimum, there is a need for higher power amplifiers. Currently, my Leak 12.1, WE124b are only 12 Watts while my Pye Mozart is only 8 watts power, which is insuuficient power in driving the AR3.

To fully utilised the AR3, there will be a need for me to get another higher power amplifier. Originally, I have thought of getting the Marantz 8b (with 35 watts power) but I was told that the performance will not be as good as the Marantz 9 (which is costing over HK$100,000) which is beyond my intended budget. As such, to set up another power & pre amplifier for the AR3 would be too costly and time consuming. Rather then trying to fix the AR3 by adding in more gears, the best solution is to cut love to others who need them.

With the departure of the AR3, I am left with only 2 set of speakers in HK (i.e WE speakers and the RCA full range speakers) which are relatively easy to drive with my WE 124b + WE120a. My current set up is as follows:

Singapore:
  • Leak TL12.1 + Marantz 7 + WE 755a & LS3/5a speakers
  • Pye Mozart + Tannoy Cantebury speakers
Hong Kong:
  • Western Electric 120a + WE 124b + WE speakers & RCA full range speakers

Less & Less equipement & more and more time for music

No comments: