Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rossini String Sonatas



My Marantz 7 has left home over the weekend. I have given up "collecting" hifi gears but has not given up listening to music.

Over the weekend, I have bought the Rossini String sonatas conducted by Marriner.

From the booklet, we have been informed that these three movement works written in the composer's youth and only rediscovered after WWII.

They are not the most complex of works, but are thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. Neville Marriner leads the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields in these analog recordings from the mid-1960s, which also include works by Donizetti, Bellini and Cherubini.

In Hong Kong, the more popular and competing Philips Duo title of the String Sonatas, by Accardo. I have not bought that version...will do a AB comparison when I have the other version...

Visit my vintage watch collection blog when you are free:

http://vintage-watch.blogspot.com/

No comments: