Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fisher 50C mono bloc pre amplifiers




According to the Fisher expert Alan: "The goody of Fisher 50-C included very sweet, natural and realistic tone, it has outstanding mid-high and high, but rich of harmonic extension but also extension of both end. The disadvantage of Fisher 50-C is slightly lack of solidity of bass, the harmonic extension is too long so it slightly affect the detail but mid range is slightly laid back if compared to later period product. However..this preamp has very outstanding flexibility of emotional expression, but very pure and emotional tone...!"


I have always been struggling on whether I should take another chance on the mono block pre amplifiers. However, having read so many positive review on the famous Fisher 50C amplifiers, I decided to take a chance on these rare amplifiers. The search for these amplifiers has been a difficult one as it involved some small misunderstanding, which fortunately has been resolved in a win-win happy ending!


The Fisher 50C was sold as mono pre amplifiers during the 1950s. As such, there are variations in the colours of cainet and the type of RCA sockets at the back of the amplifiers. Other then that, the amplifiers were prefectly matched internally as well as in sound reproduction. Comparing to the Fisher400Cx, the Fisher 50C sounded less hifi and smoother.. What a nice pair of Fishers!

The next question is whether I should get a carpenter sifu to restore the colours of the cabinets? or should I just leave it alone?

I know I should have controlled my "buying" desire but these fishes are so tempting that I have to catch them. To follow my "One in One out" policy, I have managed to cut love my spare Western Electric KS 16608 to a fellow audiophiles......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting about your experiences with the Fisher 50-C preamplifiers. Your picture shows two units. Are they the same? Do your preamps have the same LF and HF markings? I have three 50-C units and they all have different markings for the phonograph EQ.