Thursday, June 14, 2007

Acoustic Research AR3 audition







My initial listening of the AR3 + WE 124b+120A has been a very pleasant one. For the WE 124b, I would have to turn the gain to about 1 o'clock position while the volume know for teh WE120a at 10 am position as these speakers require more power then my WE755a or the WE 10 inch speakers.

As the speakers have been in "cold storage" for many years, I would have to start running in and burning in before the real AR3 sound can be heard.
From my initial audition after 1 hours, I can feel that the overall sound is very well balanced, with good Mid, high and even base. For a price below HK$10,000, I think its a steal as the use of metarials are superb (all 3 magnets are alnico magnet) and each speakers weigh about 50 pounds and are very well built. With HK$10,000, one could not even get a decent 15 ohm LS3/5a speakers. As such, the AR3 is clearly underrated and has huge potential for price increase in the future.

There is not much review on the AR3 in the net. In my opinion, the AR3 is a very well designed speakers with very good bass as well as high and mid. Overall, it has the ability to present the live like atmosphere and detail..

Using the AR3 to listen to full Orchestra music is excellent and one could easily feel the mood of the music and the various instruments playing together. When using the 755a for full orchestra music, one could sort of listen to "less" sound owing to the limitation of the speakers (insufficient high or low). As such, no one speakers can be strong in every aspect. The 755a is the best in vocal, while the Tannoy is excellent for relax sound and enjoyment of music, while the AR3 is very musical and balance!

I am hoping to find a pair of AR1 soon to complete my hunt for the speakers...crazy thought isn't it?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got ar 3 speakers in box antique. Original shipping boxes and 1 tweeter and a few more....mint condition....I'm selling it.....call me.....7085133508....jeremy

Anonymous said...

1957 speakers