Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hi fi vs Lo Fi




Ever since I stopped getting in "new" vintage gears, I have been able to experiment with sound and music enhancement (such as the use o WE111C). From what I learnt so far, the greatest impact on sound change comes from the speakers as well as its cabinet.
Last week, I have managed to find a nice pair of vintage cabinet, traiangular in shape similar to my Tannoy corner Cantebury for my 8 inch fullrange speakers. I can't wait to experiment it with my 755a speakers drivers as well as my JBL LE8T drivers! I have realized that keeping speakers are easier then amplifiers as they are relatively maintainance free!
In the past, I was rather consicious on what many "high hands" comment on my system. However, upon reading many of the forum at Review33, I have realised that Hifi or Lo fi in fact is very subjective since music preference is subjcted to own personal liking. Many of these Sifus are making comments that are reflective on their own views onwhat constitute "good" versus bad, which can be very judgemental and bias, of course.
For me, what constitute a good system must have the basic criteria of easy usage.If one need sto spend hours to twick these and that plus multiple tone control in order to achieve a good sound, these so called system should be thrown into the sea to reclaim land. Hifi equipment is supposed to be the tools for one to enjoy music but not an end in itself. Once set up, one should be able to just plu and play and enjoy. Having said that, speakers placement skills as well as matching speakers with hifi set up are key to good sound !

No comments: