Thursday, September 24, 2009

Western Electric 124b + Marantz 7


After much "resting", my vintage Marantz 7 finally starts to commence work!

Listening to Khachatyrian Masquerade Suite & Kabalalevsky The Comedians is a joy...the superb recording and the live like soundstage

I used to own many different kind of 6L6 amplifiers (Quad II, MC240, Pye, Leak TL 12.1, WEKS 16608 etc) but I like the WE124b best.

At one stage, owing to my hectic business traveling, I have almost sold my set. Thank goodness, I still keep the set as it is quite a challenge to find a nicely matched pair.

Listening to Tchaikovsky Capriccio italien, op. 45 and writing this blog is simply a relaxing activity. There was a small "fright" as one side of my speakers sunndely become soundless.

I told my self to cool down and inspect and was checking the pre amp and the power amp. In the end, it was due to the dead GEC U52 tube. Playing with vintage amplifies requires patience as these vintage tubes may suffer sudden strokes. However, despite the minor issues, listening to these vintage amplifiers really add joy and life.. Enjoy!

No comments: