Saturday, February 23, 2013

Unison research simply 2 ~ LS3/5a 11ohms

Yesterday, I went to a audiophile home to buy the Unison Research Simply 2 limited edition. He is the second policeman I know in Hkg after John. He was using the Simply 2 with a pair of Ls3/5a. During the audition, I was impressed by Simply2's ability to drive the Ls3/5a. I was so tempted to buy the pair of LS3/5a for keep sake.

My hifi journey has been an interesting one. If I have plenty of time, I would have continued my vintage hifi routes. However, with the need for constant travel, my hifi requirements and needs have changed as I need to ensure that my equipments are easy to maintain and lasting in condition. Moreover, the constant move of apartments have made packing and unpacking of these very delicate and expensive vintage gears a challenge. Moreover, the costs of maintaining these vintage gears are getting expensive as the old sifu retires..Perhaps one day when I have more time, I shall return to the vintage amps but at the moment, I shall just be contented with the one I have.

Originally, I was thinking of just getting a simple and budget set of hifi for leisure listening. However, once you have tasted good music, it is not easy to settle for less. as such, I have decided to even "upgrade" within the limited budget with changing the speakers as priority as the speakers are the final "output" where the sound appear! Many audiophiles have focussed their attention in getting great amplifiers but have neglected the speakers. IMHO, even if one gets an expensive amplifiers, if the speakers have limitation (such as no high on low), how can one expect to extract the best music out from the good system? As such, perhaps, the start of any hifi should be from the speakers and then work backward to get the amplifier etc.

Moreover, given the wides range of choices, should we limit ourselves? This is the question that I have asked myself. With the exception of the large Tannoy Cantebury (which is a lovely pair of speakers), owing to space constraint in Hk, I have been limiting myself in playing with small speakers at a price range of $Hk10-15k. i have decided to my jump out of the budget range with the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M and it has enlightened me a great deal. If the hk apartment is mine, I would have bought the floor standing Sonus Faber Cremona speakers in order to enjoy the full spectrum of music...
For now, I shall focus on getting an apartment in Hkg first....






- Posted using BlogPress from my super i machine : 0

Location:Metropolis Drive,,Hong Kong

1 comment:

thebeathunters said...

hi francis
me again
can you tell me more about the unison amp
there's one for sale around here at a good price
i guess it won't compare to 8B but...
cheers
phil