Sunday, June 18, 2006

My current hifi collections

I have not intended to start a collection of vintage amplifiers as my intention is to use the equipements to reproduce the music that i want to listen. However, my hifi journey and my various exploration has led to a proliferation of hifi equipments as follows. I feel quite priviledge to be in Hong Kong - the heaven of vinatge hifi and having the opportunities to audiyion various types of brands and its different music reproduction.

As music is about personal preference, there is no such thing as teh perfect or best amplifier. Only the "best" in term of personal taste. There are occasions, however, a certain hifi that could capture more audiences attention and preference such as the WE, Marant 7, Leak 12.1, fisher 400Cx, Mcintosh MC240 etc.


  • Power amplifiers
  • Leak 12.1 (using KT66 tubes) - my favourite and most loved amp as it took much efforts to pair them up & restore. To keep for life!
  • Mcintosh MC240 (using 6L6GC tubes) - my first serious vintage amp!
  • Western Electric KS16608 (using 6L6 tubes) - found in Singapore & restored in Hong Kong ! One of the best sound after restoration to its original condition!
  • Siemens Smf4vb (using El84 tubes) - 5 watts single ended amp to match my Cora Beta 8 full range speakers

  • Pre amplifier
  • Marantz 7 - One of the best preamp to keep!
  • Fisher 400 CX - Second best preamp to keep!
  • Speakers
  • Tannoy Canterbury monitor red - Most relaxed speakers!
  • Rogers LS3/5a - one of the must have classic!
  • Coral 8 Beta fullrange speakers - most detailed speakers!

Coming soon: Pye PF91 (to buy or not to buy?) & Radio Craftmen C500 using KT66 tubes

I hope to do some spring cleaning in July 06 and further streamline my collection to a more manageable level as I am running out of space in my Hong Kong apartment. After much listening, I have sold the following to other audiophiles collectors:

  • Pye Mozart using EL34 tubes
  • RCA full range speakers

Do write to me at maxbliss888@yahoo.com.sg should you find any interest in my hifi collection.

No comments: