Saturday, July 14, 2007

My visit to Guangzhou

After 2 years living in Hong Kong, I have finally taken the trip to visit the famous hifi site at Guanzhou Sin Tao Yuen. After taking almost 2 hours of train ride, I took a cab to visit the famous site for audiophiles.

There are many DIY stuff there as well as finished goods imported or localy produced. There are more hifi shops in these building then in Hong Kong, reflecting a growing in wealth as well as interest in finer things in life among the population. However, most of the imported items are more expensive then in Hong Kong.

One of the best shop I visited was the Chi Ping (志平) store - he is one of the most suceesful DIYer who has managed to curve our a niche market and reputation. So, those who intend to produce their own range of products should learn from him. I liked his Chi Ping speakers alot as it could really compare with those International ones with superb finishing and made.

In addition, he has DIY many famous Western Electric items as well using vinatge or DIY parts. Talking of WE, I am really glad that I ahve managed to take the right decision to chase after a pair of vintage Western Electric rather then accumulating so many others. I was once lost in the desire of collecting many set of vinatge amplifiers. At one stage, I have managed to collect 2 set of leak TL12, 10.1, Quad II, Mcintosh MC240, Pye HF91, Siemens amplifiers, Fisher 400CX, 2 Marantz 7c, 2 set of Fisher 50C, etc etc. which has become a burden in term of space and time for enjoyment of music.

When I was sitting at Chi Ping's store, I could listen to very fine, detail, and musical music from his Chi Ping speakers and We replicas, which has made me wonder the essence of music. I have stopped being "active" in the forum as they are more "quarrels" then "genuine sharing" nowadays. In addition, I can also see many audiophiles slowly drwan in the circle of "collecting" massive collections of vintage gears.

Why do we need so many gears since the ultimate purpose of the gears are to reproduce music? I don't know. Perhaps it is our desire to upgrade the sound and music..which can be much fun too! Anyway, Enjoy what you like to do as you only live once!

Cheers and be happy!

No comments: