Sunday, September 02, 2007

Leben Hifi Japan

While the currrent fever in vintage amplifiers: the Beam Echo and Audiomaster, my attention has been taken away by these new toys.

I have always been fascinated with Japanese tube amplifiers as their workmanship and dedication to the work of art is beyond word can describe.

One of the great Japanese hifi company was Audio Note (later Kondo). However, the high prices of the Japanese Audio Note (and Kondo) has made me think twice.
Another of my favourite was the Yamamoto. However, the price is not cheap (around HK$19,800 for a A08s using 45 tubes of 2A3) with power of about 8 watts. In addition, the Yamamoto requires the use of a pre amplifier.

Last week end, I have finally seen the much talked about Leben CS 300 integrated 12 watts amplifier (hand made in Japan). It was priced at HK$13,800 with normal sovtek tubes. The Leben CS300X is a 15 watts integrated amplifier with upgraded parts as well as 4 Mullards tubes (costing $19,800.)

I was very tempted to get the Leben CS300 as the size is quite compact (about the size of the normal Philips CD player). Previously, I was using started with modern tube amplifier such as the Mini Houston 1998, Unison Research Simply 4, 300B amplifier etc and I was converted to vinatge amplifiers when I came to Hong Kong. IS it crazy to move to modern Japanese newly made amplifier??? The advantage of vintage amplifier is that one would not lose much money when one sells them..How about newly made one?

The CS600 is a bigger version at 32 watts, with the advantage of being able to use EL34 tubes or 6L6GC tubes buts costing around HK$38,000. In addition, I have heard from my friend that the Leben RS-28CX Premium Preamplifier which costs about $36,000 is excellent as well!

So many interesting toys! Life is great!
http://www.lebenhifi.com/products/cs300.html

No comments: