Sunday, September 16, 2007

Western Electric 274b rectifier tubes




I was told that the WE274b rectifier tubes are vital components in the WE124b amplifier, as it will help to push the amp to its optimum.
I have manged to find two set of WE350 tubes for my WE124b. However, it has been a challenge to find the WE 274b tubes as these are rare tubes that not many is willing to part.

I was reluctant to buy from ebay as my fellow audiophiles have told me that many of the tubes are either very used and weak tubes or dead tubes. The best I could find during the interim period was the GEC U52 tubes and the military issued Sylvania 274b tubes.
Nevertheless, when there is a will there is a way. I remembered last year when I first start the threadon the topic Western Electric in the R33 forum, there were many critics and skeptics saying that it will be impossible to find a nice matching set of Western Electric amplifiers but I ahev managed to prove them wrong. Now, despite critics saying that these WE274b are impossible to find, I have managed to find them too! My own belief in life is that there is a need for determination in everything we do...even in hobby..
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have one of these tubes that i found randomly, everything i read makes them seem pretty epic. i want to build an amp circuit but don't know where to start. if anyone thinks they can help - kajjait@gmail.com