Monday, December 10, 2007

Initial assessment of Nagra Preamplifier

After two nights of listening, I must say that the Nagra PLL preamplifier is one of the best match preamplifier for my WE124b. The Nagra PLL is exceptionally quiet, transparent, musical as well as details. Its strength lies in its ability to bring our the smoothness of the music from the WE124b.

With the Nagra PLL, I could say that my search for the hifi gear is over. The modern Nagra preamplifier matches very well with the vintage WE124b.

My current set up in HK are:
Preamplifier: Nagra PLL
Power amplifier: Westen Electric124b
CD : Linn Genki
Speakers: 755a


IMHO, these simple set up could bring out the very best in music! There is many other good vintage preamplifiers such as the Fisher 400CX, Fisher 50C, Pilot etc. However, not wanting to "collect" so many items, I will have to do some serious audition and keep only those that I like. Hifi is about matching. The Fisher 400CX is very dynamic and musical. However, owing to the high gain in Leak TL12.1, the Fisher 400Cx is not an ideal partner for Leak 12.1. The Marantz 7, on the other hand with its more neutral sound, will match well with the Leak TL12.1
The Fisher 50c stories have been a painful one where friendship has been brought to the test~~
Enjoy!

No comments: