Friday, February 12, 2010

Extreme hard glass CDs

Recently, there is debate on the subject of extreme hard glass CD but I realised that many of those who participated in the forum has not even listened to it and just criticized for the sake of doing it.

I was fortunate to own one, the Karajan Symphony No 9. The CD comes with an ordinary CD for one to do an AB comparison. Even though its expensive, I liked it very much as Beethoven's No 9 is one of my favourite symphony with the full orchestra music + choir singing etc. The dynamic and complexity has made the CD one of the "listenable", dramatic and enjoyable. Hifi is always a question of choice and personal reference. Take the LS3/5a as an example, the Gold Tag versus the black tag versus the11ohms, I can say that the Gold tag sounded the best but the differences is small. However, the "smallness" may be major for those who care. Thus, its like drinking wine, one can choose a simple red or an expensive vintage red..the differences may not be great, but prices are, but the level of enjoyment for those who care is beyond words ..

Live life to the fullest! Enjoy what gives you the most pleasure! For me the glass Cd is a worthwhile buy a it represents my pursue of music as a hobby as well as my appreciation of Beethoven No 9 plus Karajan .. How many other symphony can have such a wide audience?

1 comment:

Philip said...

Hello Francis, just discovered and am enjoying your blog. Also saw you had the glass cd of Beethovens 9th. How I envy you? Do you know if they are still available ( I'm British but now live in the USA) although i don't think i'll ever be able to afford a copy!
if you ever plan to sell it please keep me in mind!
All the best Philip.