Thursday, May 18, 2006

Next KT66 amplifiers

After listening to my favourite Leak 12.1 using the KT66 tubes, I was totally poisoned by the wonderful sound reproduced using the magical KT66. These has promted me to search for another amplifiers using the KT66. Immediately, the Quad II came into my mind. However, after having experiencing 2 set of Quad II, I realised that Quad II has very nice sound. However, after AB comparison, I have always found that Quad II has some small limitation which is difficult to describe.

Thus, my next amplifiers will have the following characteristics:

1. Made in UK
2. Mono Block having about 12w -15W
3. Using KT66 tubes.

Given the above characteristics, the options available is Pye PF91. Very little information is available on the Pye PF91. Pye PF91 is a KT66 push pull amp. There is another Pye HF 25 but the Pye PF91 KT66s are triode connected, so the amp gives about 12W while the Pye HF25 is 25 watts.

Higher watts power is not something I am chasing. Some experts have mentioned that the Pye PF91 does not sound as good as the Leak12.1 and I am curious to do am AB test and find out. I was told that Pye company was formely producing equipments for military use. Given the high standard required for military commissioned equipments, I am quite confidence that the Pye PF91 will be of a high standard.

In my wish list, I hope one day I can build a power amplifiers collection consisting of 1.) Mcintosh MC240, 2) Leak 12.1, 3)Pye Pf91, 4)Radio Craftmen C500, Western Electric amp using 6L6. I have geard that Tannoy and Roger Williamson made very good KT66 amplifiers but I have yet to hear them. Thus, the search is now on..

1 comment:

vanni said...

I think that the Pye Hf25 amplifier (HF = High-Fidelity type) is the Best of the Best amplifier in the world!
The Pye PF91 amplifier (PF = Popolar-Fidelity) is very similar to Leak TL12 !
Regards
Vanni