Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Artist hand made interconnect cable


Having been working in the brand building business for a long period of time has made me developed a liking for well established brands with consistent quality as well as clearly defined image and brand positioning.

In my journey of hifi, my main concentration has been on acquring quality vintage items and restoring it with the original, NOS,or best parts availables. Very little attention has been given to the quality of the tubes and the various interconnect cables.

I was planning to buy a few pair of audionote or some other braned interconnects for my hifi but the prices are so high that it often made think more than twice.

Yesterday evening, while I was sending my Western Electric 16608 for servicing and restoration at 毅德音響 ARTIST HI FI CO , I came across a " not so attractive looking" and non branded interconnect. Out of curiosity, I have asked Sifu 梁文光 Marco what is so special about the cable. To my surprise, Sifu mentioned: 訊號線就是選用了德國錄音室所用的純銅線芯為線材,RCA插頭亦係採用德國古老製品. Since the pure copper wiring is old stocks of wiring cables being used in the studio in Germany, the quality must be exception. Moreover, the sifu also offered a return policy of less 10% if the results is not satisfactory. So, I bought a 1.2 metres cables at HK$1500.

Immediately, when I reached home, I pugged in the interconnect and awaited anxiously to listen to the reproduction of sound. Yes, this "not so good looking cables" actually managed to lift up the sound of my exisiting system by threefold ! It is really a value for money cables! I am sure the interconnect will be even better after 10-20 hours of running in. No wonder there is a saying: Never judge a bok by its cover! In this instance, never judge a cable by its look! Ha ha ha!

When I am back at the shop to collect back my restored WE, one month later : ( ...yes it takes one month, I am going to get another pair of the Artsist hand made cables!

Cheers

No comments: