Sunday, May 28, 2006

Western Electric Dream




I have managed to get some information on the WE over a forum by Alan (Pilotrol):

When Western Electric was forced to break up in late 40, some of the production license of Western Electric had been sold or assigned to Altec, Langavin and IPC. Western Electric has been designed many amp for lab, PA or telephone use during 50's, but they were no longer produced the amplifier for own use.

During mid and late 50’s, Dukane and McIntosh were assigned to produced WE design amplifier for Western Electric. In fact, The Western Electric KS-16608-L1 is a 12 watt output mono amp with 6L6 PP design by Western Electric but produced by Dukane Corporation in 1958. Large amount of KS-16608-L1 had been produced during late 50’s to early 60’s. The KS 16608s are the major model to replaced the WE124 for PA or Line amp during this period. FYI, Dukane also has produce KS-16617-L1 (6V6 pp at 8 watts) and KS-16610 (6550 PPP at 75 watts?) during this period.

One of my KS 16608 was produced by Dukane in Illinois & the other one by Mutiplex West Poplar Montana. Since I could not afford or find the more famous and expensive WE 89 & 91, the WE KS 16608 is a good substitute to satisfy my desires for a pair of vintage Western Electric amplifiers!

According to some so called "expert", the sound from this KS 16608 is horrible but I disagree totally! Good music not neccessary comes from only the WE 89 or 91. If this set is horrible why should the Japanese audiophiles continue to pay to own this?

Nevertheless, to ensure perfect sound and to bring the amplifier back to its glorious days, I have sent my pair of WE KS16608 to the famous Hong kong hifi writer and 毅德音響 梁文光 Sifu for restoration and changing of capacitors, resistors and wiring this evening as I could not find the schematic. I am now anxiously waiting for the return of my WE 16608 and the start of the Western Elecric dream!

: ) Be Happy!

2 comments:

peter1961music said...

Hi..Good background of the WE. I myself is one fan of we and luckly owned one pair of Altec 1520T amp. which is licenced by WE using 2 of 6L6, 2 6SN7, 1 of 5U4, and 1 of 12AY7. Also my preamp is also licenced by WE. They are sound so live as I'm never experience before. The vocal is one of the best. My speaker is JBL olympus S8R. One comment just to share with you is. WE will not shine their quality unless we match them with all component which produce in the same age. For example, my Olympus is working best with 6L6 amp and they are both in the same circa...peter

Unknown said...

I am lucky to have a pair of WE KS-16575. They are all original mint condition. They sound beautifully with my JBL-L300. I feel more musical better than my McIntosh C240.