Monday, August 28, 2006

Final item for the year - 755a speakers

There are 3 speakers which I have desired namely a large pair of speakers for the living room, i.e Tannoy Canterbury, a pair of 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5a as a music reference and a pair of full range speakers.

For the full range speakers, I have started with the small RCA and a pair of Telefunken with a DIY open baffle. It was my first 2 pair of full range speakers. I have sold my 6 inch RCA spakers as the 8 inch was the ideal size. I was immediately captured by the sound of the 8 inch full range speakers. However, my DIY speakers were so ugly that my wife objected to it straight away.

Later on, I have moved on to a pair of Cora Beta 8 inch high sensitive speakers which is so detail and clear that even the signal noise from my vintage amplifiers could be easily picked up by the Coral. The Coral will be a perfect match for a modern (& quiet) preamplifiers. As I am not willing to change my vintage pre-amlifiers speakers, I have decided to cut love to a friend who can appreciates it more then me. In addition, the huge speakers cabinets also took up too much space in my living room making it difficult to walk. As a result, I have also let go my Siemens amplifiers (as it was too big taking too much space as well).

I have always have in mind a pair of legendary Western Electric full range 755a. However, despite much searching, I have only managed to find a pair of Altec 755e (costs about HK$8000 with a pair of DIY cabinets) and 2 pair of 755c (one with DIY cabinets asking for HK$10,000, and the other without cabinet asking for HK$7800) in Hong Kong.

The recent transaction at ebay for a pair of Altec 755a was about US$1826+ US$100 shipping = HK$14500. However, the fear of buying from ebay is that there is always a risk of non matching pair as well as non arrival of items.

After much consideration, I have decided not to pursue my Western Electric 124 dream as the costs is way too high (HKG$110,000). In addition, I have been advised by many of my hifi friends that the maintainance of the We124 is and will be a constant issues as many of the components are too old!

In addition, for the Western Electric amplifiers, there is always a dilemma of whether to change the capacitors & resistors or not with the Western Electric amplifiers. To change the capacitors or resistors would affect the values and originality of the WE124. Not changing the capacitors on the other hand will affect the qaulity of sound reproduction. Moreover, the WE also needs its Western electric 350 tubes in order to have the pure and "true" Western Electric sound!

Given the various strings of "attachments" and limitations, I have decided that it is not worth the trouble and the investmen in the search for the WE124 as hifi is supposed to give "pleasure" and not "pressures". My recent constant visits to the Hifi master for repairs have tired my eagerness to pursue a vintage amplifiers that needs constant consultation to the hifi "doctor"

With that in mind, my search for a pair of Western Electric 755a speakers has began (as speakers are relatively maintainance free). With the clear direction in mind, I have made up my mind to go for the real Western Electric 755a and not the Altec 755a or 755c or 755e as this will be the last item for the year! Too tired to search and I want to spend more time listening and enjoying the music! Since I cannot find a Western Electric amplifiers, at least i could be compensated with an all original Western Electric speakers!

cheers : )

No comments: