Friday, August 11, 2006

PHASS Fullrange speakers



The past week has been a very hectic one as I have to travel overseas for work.

This evening, I finally managed to find some time to visit a "new" speaker cabinet makers near my office.

While waiting for the arrival of my 755C speaker units, I have decided to start searching for cabinet for the pair of 755c. Upon arrival to the shop, my attention immediately was captured by a pair of 4 inch full range alnico speakers in beautifully handcrafted Spruce wood (often called "piano" wood in Asia)! Even though the speakers is very small insize, the sound reproduction for Mid is excellent as well as has strong bass and high!

This pair of PHASS speakers units were made in Japan using Alnico magnets from South Africa while the speakers cabinet is made by a famous cabinet makers Feis audio in Hong Kong using the expensive wood that is used for the making of piano or violin. Spruce is the wood responsible for resonance and sound. Therefore it´s used in violin making for the tables with the sound-holes (ff-holes), bassbars, soundposts and reinforcements such as linings and blocks.

The size of the speakers are slightly smaller then the LS3/5a. I like the LS3/5a but I feel that we should open up our heart and mind and accept "new" product that is good. One example is the Chi Ping 3 1/2 inch full range speakers and another IMHO is this PHASS speakers. From the workmanship point of view, the cabinet is excellent and the sound is fantastic. It is espcially suitable for small bedroom or small areas. It is very user friendly as one could just placed it near the wall. The Chi Ping speakers sounded bright and open. The PHASS speakers having the Piano wood cabinet and bigger alnico magnet has the advantage of more refinement and depth.

The unit that I bought is the last prototype sample. Hopefully, the PHASS speakers could be massed produced soon so that more people could enjoy it!

While waiting for my 755C and my WE124, I will continue to listen to my Tannoy Cantebury and this PHASS speakers. Once the WE124 arrive, i will then bring one set of amplifiers, Pre amplifiers and speakers back to Singapore as it was really tough not having any system back home to listen..

No comments: