Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hi fi path


In my hifi journey, I have met many adiophiles along the way. Many of those I know are big time collectors of either vintage amplifiers or LS3/5a speakers.

For me, I change my gears very regularly. Why? I believe, one should only keep those that one like. Otherwise, we will need a large warehouse to store all the gears. Moreover, the unfortunate thing about hifi is that you will have to bring them home for continuos listening before you can tell whether you like it or not. Since I have just started the vintage hifi journey while many of my fellow audiophile have spent numerous years on it, I will have to move faster in order to set up my "dream set".

After much seraching, buying and then cutting love, I have realised that I like KT66 & 6L6tubes sound most. EL34 for me sounded too fast and a bit rough.EL84 tubes is very sweet but lacks the power and soundstage when played in the hall. As such, I have stramlined my other EL34, EL84 amps and keep only the few that I played everyday. Since I have limitaion on space and $$ plus I do not have the intention to rent an office to display the amplifers, I will have to follow strictly the "one in then one out policy" which I ahve promosed my wife. As I tended to get gear in very good condition, I have very little problem in selling them as like what they always say "good items are always in demand, and rubbish will always be rubbish".

I will rotate two amplifers per night, one using the Tannoy Canterbury and the other use the Phass fullrange speakers. I am hoping that the 755c and the WE124 will be my last pursuits but my friend has said that it is impossible....

No comments: