Friday, September 01, 2006

Hifi project downsizing


Following my acquisition of the Western Electric 755a full range speakers, I have come to realised that when one starts in the hifi journey, it is essential to have a very clear direction in order to avoid buying the "wrong" hifi equipments for the matching of speakers.

Perhaps, one should start with the speakers first (and determine what sound or music one likes) and then look for amplifiers that matches well with the speakers. From my recent listening, I have also realised that I listened to the Tannoy Canterbury (for Orchestra & multiple instrumental music) and uses the fullrange speakers for vocal and light instruments more. Since both the Tannoy and the WE755a are highly sensitive speakers, there is no requirements for high power amplifiers.

Moreover, with my decision of NOT wanting to COLLECT all the five KT66/6L6 amplifiers anymore (i.e WE124, Leak 12.1, MC240, Quad II, Radio craftsmen C500), I will began a series of downsizing.

I will most probably keep the following combination and downsize the rest:
  • Leak 12.1 + Fisher400CX + Tannoy Canterbury (in HKG Living room)
  • WE KS16608 + Marantz 7 + Western Electric 755a (in bedroom HKG)
  • Rogers 15 ohms LS3/5a + Foundation stand (in Singapore)
With that in mind, I hope to down size the following to lovers of vintage amplifiers:

  • Mcinstosh MC240 (near mint condition, with original box, papers,etc)
  • Radio Craftsmen C500a (fully restored by professional, matched pair)
  • Phass fullrange speakers (brand new and sounded very nice)

Anyone who is keen, can write to me at maxbliss888@yahoo.com.sg or maxbliss@netvigator.com

Once the process is complete, I am no longer a collector of vintage amplifiers and just someone who love music.. : ) Last night, my wife and son Keith came to visit me from Singapore. We have had a short session listening to the 755a and it was a great experience and a nice warm feeling : )

No comments: