Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Project down size

It has been a difficult task when one needs to downsize the many lovely amplifiers. Following my listening session on Saturday on the Western Electric 142 amplifiers (6L6) and the Brooks 12A (2A3) with the Western Electric 755a and Westminster speakers, I have came a step closer in knowing what type of sound & music I like.

Basing on my own evlauation and my personal taste, I will keep the following combination:

  • Leak 12.1 + Fisher 400CX + Tannoy Cantebury (Living room)
  • Western Electric 755a speakers (bedroom)
  • Western Electric KS16608 + marant 7 + LS3/5a 15 ohms speakers + foundation stand as reference (Singapore)
Even though many audiophiles have "looked down" on the Western Electric KS16608 amplifiers (that were produced by Dukane and others...like an illegitimate son... : ( , I personally loved it so much that I have bought another better condition set for keeping. Perhaps, those who commented do not have the opportunity to audition a "fully restored" or in good working condition KS16608 when making such prejudice statements or they are plain narrow minded..

Not wanting to be caught up with the "competition" among some audiophiles; plus I have given up the idea of owning the top 5 types of 6L6 amplifiers (as they sounded very close) I have started a project down sizing with the following:
  • Quad II - cut love to a good friend
  • My first set of WE KS16608 mono bloc power amplifiers - cut love to a good friend
  • Radio Craftsmen C500a mono bloc power amplifiers - cut love to a good friend
  • Mcintosh MC240 power amplifiers - only to a serious collector who appreciates complete set of papers, original box and test results.
  • Phass full range speakers - spare set

There are audiophiles who has "remarked" that I sell away my amplfiers too fast. Owing to space constraints, one has to stremline in order to make the living room "liveable". ..its just a hobby..

After continuos listening and matching with the different combinations, one will be able to know what one likes. Owing to the constraints of space, I will only keep the very best and the one I like most. I prefers to go for "Quality" rather then "Quantities". During the process, I have learnt a great deals about the different charateristics of the different gears and most importnat, I had great fun too! especically during the "search" process!

Once I have completed the process, I will either look for the Yamamoto 2 watts amplifiers or the Brooks 10C or 12A using 2A3 tubes or the Dynatron using the ballon tubes or another single ended amplifier, just to hear the difference sound. Enjoy!

No comments: