Sunday, November 12, 2006

聽過就可以了, 無須事事擁抱

聽過就可以了, 無須事事擁抱..

I have been trying to listen to as many amplifiers as I could. To really understand the charateristics of the amplifiers, one would need to actually bring them home and matches them with the other equipments and listen to them in a "home environment".

Very often, when I travelled along the hifi path, I have to rely on my friends' advices and the forum to start. After much audition, one can then truly understand what one needs. At one time, I have wanted to collect all the top five 6LL6 amplifiers namely Quad II, Leak 12.1, Radio Craftsmen C500, Mcintosh MC240 and the Western Electric 124. I have almost managed to complete collecting all 5 amplifiers but the journey of collecting has been a very tiring one both in term of time, efforts and resources.

One of my first priority is to find the amplifiers in as pristine conditions as possible as I believe in QUALITY rather then quantities. For the Westren Electric KS 16608, I have to find two pairs in order to get one pair in near mint condition. Similarly, I have to buy 3 set of Leaks TL12.1, two units of Marantz 7, two units of Pye mozart in order to get one perfect set respectively. Fortnately, for the Mcintosh MC240 and Fisher 400CX, there are in such good condition that they became truly a collectors items.

With the constant changing of gears, many of the audiophiles could not understand what I was trying to do which is fine as hifi is a very personal hobby as the only condiseration is one should be happy with one's game.

Now, I have more or less found my true love in Pye mozart HF10 (using EL34 tubes) with Western Electric 755a; Tannoy Canterbury & RogersLs3/5a 15 ohms with WE KS16608 (using 6L6 tubes) & Leak 12.1 (using KT66 tubes) with Marantz 7 & Fishers 400CX or Fisher 50c.

I have sold many nice equipements away such as Siemens & Lafayatte single ended amplifiers, Coral Beta 8 speakers, Quad II, Pye Mozart HF20s, Rogers 11ohms, pusedo 15 ohms, Rogers Black badge, Tannoy Chartsworth, RCA & Telefunken full range speakers, leak 10,..as like what they say, 聽過就可以了, 無須事事擁抱..

However, rather then collecting all the 6L6 amplifiers, I do wish I could create more space to find ampifiers using EL84 tubes, and some ballons tubes amplifiers..

No comments: