Monday, November 20, 2006

Western Electric 124 - Another look

The Western Electric 124 is really my dream amplifier. I have been dreaming of it for many months. During these months, I have also tried to "force" myself to give up the idea of wanting to own WE124 amplifiers owing to the high costs as well as the need for constant maintainance for these vintage amplifiers.

After much deliberation, I have finally decided to put the Western Electric as the ultimate power amplifiers that I will try to find for 2006/7. The costs of the WE 124 is about HK$100,000 or more depending on condition which is really alot of $$ to pay for... : (

But I am sure the joy of listening to it will compensate for the investment we put : ) Moreover, WE is a true vintage amplifiers with very good reputation and collector value. Since I am a collector of vintage fountain pen and watches, having the Western Electric 124 will complete my little dream plan of owning the best (In my view) and focusing on Quality amp that matches well with my speakers and my taste of music.

After much searching, I have managed to hunt down three set. There is one set available in Hong Kong, one set in Guangzhou and another set in Taiwan. One of the set is Western Electric 124a, another 124B and the 3rd set 124C. Which is better sound is the key qesution and answer I need.

I am hoping to learn as much as possible and see which set is in better condition and better sound and try to save $$$$ to get one of these nice amplifiers! This is going to be an interesting chase....I am enjoying the journey of searching as I can feel my adrenaline and blood flowing very fast even when I am writing......

2 comments:

GuitarDIY said...

I have a Western Electric 124c. I am considering selling it and I am looking for offers. Would you be interested or do you know anyone that would?

Francis Phua said...

There are many audiophiles in HKg who is keen.