Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pye HF 10m monoblock amplifiers











I have always regretted selling my Pye HFS20 single ended amplifiers. This weekend, I have managed to find a nice pair of Pye Mozart in a mono version called Pye HF 10M . It uses one ECC83 as the driver for a single EL34 to give 8W. I have seen a pair in a hifi shop at Central but the condition was not very good.



The condition of this pair is very good as it comes with the original cage as well as the metal frame. The internal conditions are also good making it one of the best buy for the sound! These pair has been carefully selected by its previous owner Micheal, and he has managed to pair them up from 5 other units of Pye HF10 to ensure that these selected are the best of the best.

I have tried using 5W Lafayatte single ended amplifiers for my Western Electric 755a but I find the sound sounded slightly "weak" compare with these 8W mono block Pye amplifiers. Pye amplifiers are not as well known as the Rogers, Marmat, Mcintosh, Fishers. However, Pye was responsible for many military equipements for the British government in the early days making them very reliable and good sound. There are not many affordable and good single ended amplifiers and I must say the Pye HF 10M is exceptional!

There are three versions of the Pye Mozart and their estimated prices depending on conditions are:


  1. Integrated version with separate power HF20; Price range between HKG$9000-10,000

  2. Mono Block version of HF10; HKG$9000-13,500

  3. Later All in one Integrated version HF20 HKG $9000-$10,000

The Mono block HF10 is slightly more costly as the sound is much nicer then the HF20 as it has one additional output ( 2 each while the HF20 has 3 output being shared by both). The prices of these are getting higher and higher as there are many DIY who buy the amplifiers but stripped off the amp for the output transformers as valuable parts for their DIY.


Thus, for those who has high effeciencies speakers and looking for nice single ended amplifiers (at affordable price), the made in UK Pye should be your top selection!

2 comments:

Ben said...

I have a PYE HF-10M complete with cage in good looking condition.
It used to work and has been in the shed for the last 20 years, when I took it out recently to show my son and plugged it in the primary transformer was getting a bit hot so I turned it off all three valves appeared to be on.
I am interested in schematic diagram if anyone has, be nice to have it up and running again.
Ben

Ev Loutonian said...

So, this is different from the PYE "HF 5/8", is it? I was presuming that was an 8 watt version. ..? Great looking units!
Thanks,
Evan.