Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Western Electric KS16698 & Matantz 8b




I have bought my first set of Western Electric KS16608 as "trial" and test to see if I really like the Western Electric sound and music from the 6L6 tubes. The purchase of the WE124 was a really a mental struggle as the costs involved are huge as well the rarity making it an almost impossible task.
My second set of the KS16608 came about when I found these mint condition set sitting at a hifi second hand store by chance. The set was so beautiful and matched pair making it an offer too good to to miss.
Last week I hand carried my Leak TL12.1 as well as my Pye Mozart back from Hong Kong. The Marantz amplifier has always been a legend. The famous Marantz include the Marant 1,2,7,8b & 9. Since I have already has the Marantz 7, I have always been tempted to try the Marant 7 + 9 combo. However, I have always liked the KT66 & 6L6 tubes making me being obsessed with the KT66/6L6 amplifiers (Quad II, Pye PF91, Leak 12.1 We 124, KS 16608, Mcintosh MC240 etc). My friend KY has always recommended Marantz 9 but I ws too afraid of the high power as well as the EL34 tubes.
With the Pye Moazrt (8 watts using 6L6, 10 watts when using EL34); the Leak TL12. & WE124 & KS16608 all having 12 watts amplifiers power, perhaps I should allow myself a chance of using the EL34 tube amplifier?
With this in mind, I have set up a task to serach for the Marantz 8b. Why not the marantz 9? Its the cost issue again. I am not sure if the EL34 tubes are suitable for me so the saftest approach is to try Marantz 7 + Marantz 8 first and if I really like the sound, I will then upgrade to Marantz 7 + 9 combo.
Anyone keen to purchase a mint condition Western Electric KS16608?

Real Itchy fingers, I must say.. : )


No comments: