Monday, October 29, 2007

DIY Tube amplifiers

I have come to realise that i am not much of a DIY person. There are many DIY audiophiles who has built amplifiers claiming to be the best. In addition, there are many who aspires to build their amplifiers like those of the Mcintosh, Marantz and Western Electric ..

However, so far, other then the US or European I can only see the Japanese (brands such as Leben, Yamamoto etc) and some mainland Chinese (brands such as Sparks, Melody, etc), there are not many who can claim to be successful.

At the various forum, one can easily see expert giving out advices and acting like big Masters..In the end, my personal view is that the success of the brands will be determined by the market forces or demand and supply. Alternatively, one could joing the once a year DIY contest organized by the hifi magazines..where glory is earned by convincing the judges and not by writing in the forum like R33. What do you think?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Francis, your blog was pointed out to me by an audio friend and I have been reading and enjoying your posts this evening. We have vastly different goals, tastes, collections, but I will come back to read what you have to right.

With regards to DIY amplifiers, most people I know stick with pretty standard and well known circuits like Williamson, Mullard, and a few others. It's a great place to start, but I do know a few people who have designed their own topologies with sublime results. I'm lucky to live in an area full of tube fans of all types from kit builders, to modders, to all out designers.

Looking forward to reading more.

Unknown said...

Wow, my english is awful...

Francis Phua said...

Hi!

Thanks for reading!

I think there are alot of talented DIY around us.

If the Japanese DIY is able to make famous their design circuits and position their products as Quality & desirable (and expensive!!!) finished products and ready to be sold to the consumers, I am sure, serious DIYs should aim towards the direction..