Monday, October 29, 2007

Some thoughts~ Lesson learnt

Having been playing with Hifi for the past few years, I have come to a point where I think quality is more important then quantities.

There is always a strong desire to own more and more gears owing to peer pressures, or competitions among the various audiophiles. Luckily, I have managed to keep a clear mind and focus on what I need vs what I like to own. In the end, I believe that rare and valuable amplifiers will forever be in demand ~~as the demand comes from the international market and not from one or two individuals.. Leak TL12.1 is a great amplifiers among the Leak famalies...Western Electric will always be in strong demand as its reputation went as long as the 1930s~~~Marantz & Mcintosh will always appeal to those who want reputable brands...and so on..~~~~

So, if one want to start getting into hifi, one needs to know what type of sound one desires...and start with the speakers and then move backward as the sensitivity of the speakers will determine what type of power amplifiers you will need. One example is my AR3 speakers. My 12 watts amplifier was unable to optimize the performance of the AR3 which require 35 Watts power and above in order to push its to its opitmum. Perhaps a Marantz 9 will be a better amplifier for the AR3. I was unwilling to change the gear which resulted in my parting with the AR3.. : (

In addition, if you have the talents and the time (I have no talent or time)...you may wish to try DIY...

Cheers and have fun...

No comments: