Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Quad II

This is my second set of Quad II. I have sold off my first set as its conditions were nice but not up to my expectation.

After months of serching, Alan has finally helped me find one complete set with Quad 22 Preamp, FM radio, AM radio as well as the monoblocks power amplifiers. The sound from Quad II is very warm.

The serial numbers are very nice and considered lucky with nos ending with "22" & "33" (which in cantonese means 22 (Easy) & "33" (Growth).
Many audiophiles have condamned the Quad 22 pre amplifiers saying that it was rubbish and bad. Upon various audition, I strongly feel that the pre amp fits very well with the Quad II. If the sound wasnot right, it was most probably due to the fault in the set (bad capacitors, tubest etc) rather than bad design.
These Quad II were most likely produced the same time as I, during the 1960s. I am glad that these hifi equipments still produces beautiful sound. In a way, listening to vintage amplifiers help to protect the environment as we reduce wastge and recycle. It seems that in the past, hifi equipments were made to last for generation after generation. With modern technology, it seems that it could only last perhaps a few years...what happened? Aren't science and technology advancement supposed to make things better ?...Perhaps, with modern standard of efficiency and productivity...there is less "heart & soul" being used and nothing is made to last....
When using the Quad II, one has to be esxtra careful not to overload its transformer as it has the tendency to be overheated and burnt!

No comments: