Monday, April 23, 2007

The joy of Hifi



I guess every audiophiles will go through different stages of equipment changes in order to find the so called "ultimate" dream set. For me, the joy in travelling in these long & winding road lies in the experiences of playing with them rather then trying to posses all of them.

Throughout the two years, I ahve had the opportunities to find, owned and sold many interesting vintage hifi gears. From the listening and mixing and matching of the various gears, I have finally come very close to finding those amplifiers that I can listen and keep for life.
  • Set 1: Marantz 7 + Leak TL12.1 + 755a
  • Set 2: Pye Mozart HF10 + Tannoy Cantebury.
  • Set 3: Western Electric 124 + WE 120a + WE 10 inch speakers

It all started with the search for powerful amplifier (such as the Mcintosh MC240) to very low power (5Watts) single ended, from LS3/5a to big tannoy Speakers and then to fullrange speakers. In the end, I like Western Electric sound basing on its natural & smooth music where you can listen to WE for hours without feeling tired. The Leak TL12.1, on the other hand, will gives one the dynamism and power with full control as well as smooth music.The Pye Mozart + Tannoy combo will give one the refined and balance strength for the highly sensitive speakers. I used to own the Fishers pre-amplifiers. However, owing to circumstances beyond my control, the seller last minute has decided not to sell me his Fisher 50c. I was dissapointed and upset initially. However, after a while, I have managed to convince myself to let it go..as what is yours will be yours!

No comments: