Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review of Ls3/5a

This is an interesting review of the Ls3/5a...

http://www.epinions.com/review/Rogers_LS3_5A_epi/content_584713604740?sb=1

The BBC LS3/5As are among the best speakers I’ve heard in my system. They were always musical, and I generally found myself ignoring the speakers and enjoying the music when I listened to them. However, there were times when I would pause and take note of drums that sounded particularly dynamic or a sense of realism and space that I hadn’t heard before. 

The various versions of LS3/5As out there are cult favorites, and these speakers command anywhere from $1000 to over $3000 on eBay and Audiogon, depending on condition, presentation, and the ubiquitous “randomness factor.” I’ve heard that the Chartwell version is among the most rare and most likely to command really high prices in the audiophile used market. Given my experience with these speakers, I’d say that their status is well-deserved. 

One final thing I noticed about these speakers is that they didn’t seem to care where the listener was in the room. They threw a nice image and sounded well-balanced even as we moved about my listening room. I’ve also read that they aren’t particularly placement-sensitive, though I didn't experiment with speaker placement. 


Agree??

No comments: