Sunday, July 16, 2006

6L6 / KT66 amplifiers

Following much listening and comparison, I have realized that I have a strong inclination for 6L6/Kt66 amplifiers. The EL34 tubes amplifiers has more force and power but it sounded a bit rough in my ears. The EL84 has very sweet sound but it lacks the power when needed.
Currently, my 6L6 / KT 66 amps consists of the the following:
  1. Leak TL12.1 (KT66) - the BEst KT66 amplifiers so far!
  2. Radio craftsmen C500a (KT66) - great work by the famous Sid Smith!
  3. Pye PF91 (KT66) - another great British amp that is rare!
  4. Western Electric KS16608 (6L6) - real value for money amp!
  5. Mcintosh MC240 (6L6) - One of the best advant guarde design and good power without the harshness!

Very soon, some ( or many) of the above will dissappear like water vapour in the air : ( whern the WE 124 appears..

Others interesting amps using KT66 are:

  • RCA (my friend called it Big Quad II)
  • Quad II
  • Pilotone 901 (i think)

Given the strong inclination towards the KT66 & 6L6 tubes amplifiers, I have decided to down size and let go my Siemens amplifiers using EL84 tubes. The Siemens are great amplifiers with great details. However, since I have no wish to "collect", I have decided to focus on playing with the KT66/6L6 tubes families. By doing so, it would help me to save up resources, $$, time and space to hunt for the WE124... My wife will killme if she knows how much the WE 124 is going to cost! he he he!

No comments: