Sunday, July 30, 2006

Vintage Electro Voice T35


While waiting for the arrival of the Pye PF91 KT66 amp, I have decided to play around with the vinatge Electro voice T35 high frequecies units.

Initially I have only intended to get some tubes but the owner of the vintage hifi shop Mr.Chen has strongly advised me to get this pair of 1950s alnico high frequecies speakers. The size of the magnet is huge (the diameter of the magnet is 6cm)

After attaching the Electro voice T35 to the Chi Ping speakers, the sound stage became wider . If one does a blind test, one would not suspect that the sound was from a 3 inch full range speakers at all! What an amazing change!

I have told Mr Chen that I should perhaps buy a cheap high frequecies tweeter but he was against the idea saying that it would be better off not having the cheap high frequencies tweeter at all as the improvement would not be there. He has told me the it is rare for such high frequecies tweeters as these have to be detached from a pair of working condition EV speakers.

The hifi journey is one of non stop discovery..Cheers

No comments: