Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dream amplifier - Western Electric 91


Ever since I have fallen in love in the world of Western Electric, it seems to be a joyful journey of no return. It started with the Western Electric KS16608 series; followed by the Western Electric 755a speakers. At the end of 2006, I have finally found a pair of Western Electric 124b power amplifiers. Following which, I have also acquired a set of very resaonable price Western Electric 100f amplifiers, WE 350 tubes etc. ( Please note that the WE 91 picture don't belong to me..)
At the hifi scene in Hong Kong, there were many active audiophiles collecting many different kind of amplifiers.
Now, I am playing both the Leak TL12.1 using KT66 tubes and alternate them with the Western Electric 124b using the 350B or 6L6 tubes. I can still vividly remember many audiophiles has thought that it will be near impossible to find a pair of Western Electric amplifiers since they have been all bought up by the audiophile in Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
Moreover, the Hong Kong audiophiles who played with WesternElectric gears were so low profile that one seldom hear much in the WE forum.
Man lives by dreaming. Thus, with my hifi path being focussed at "Quality" rather then "Quantities", my next dream gear is the much famed Western ELectric 91 amplifiers, not the replica but the real WE 91.. Previously, I have hoped to find the Brooks but the set that I have found has a non oroginal out put transformer. For the Dynatron amplifies, the diffuculty in findng NOS ballon tubes have further stopped me from looking for them. Since one is going to dream, one might as well dream Big.ha ha ha.
Is it possible? Yes, I hope : )
I have alwayes been single minded in my goal. However, the good thing is that I am not in a hurry as I can take my time to enjoy with what I have at the moment and listen to the sound of music and wait for the opportunities for the dream gear to appear in front of me..one day..
ENJOY!

No comments: