Thursday, March 15, 2007

March 07 - One year of blogging

Looking back at my first post, it has been a year since I first started writing this blog. Times passes very fast! My vintage gears have gradually evolved from where I first started.

It all began with the well known household brands such as the Quad II, Mcintosh MC240, Marantz 7, and Altec 604 speakers. Later, as I began to learn more of the hifi and explore the sound that I like, I began to search for commercial professional use amplifiers such as the Leak TL12.1 and then to the Western Electric amplifiers.

My Hifi journey has been an interesting one where I have met many interesting fellow audiophiles as well as some weird one too! Along the way, I have bought, trial and sold many interesting vintage amplifiers. There are many audiophile who "collect" many amplifiers by brands, by series or everything. For me, as I always mentioned, since space and resources are limited, I would tend to focus on Quality rather then having sure quantities and numbers. I like my current system consisting of amplifiers and speakers which I have slowly collected over the past 20 months. : )

In my opinion, the best vintage power amplifiers are Western Electric 124 (most natural sound) and Leak TL12.1 (most dynamic). In term of pre amplifiers, it will be Marantz 7 (most neutral sound); Fisher 400CX (most musical) and Fisher 50C (most emotional). For speakers, Tannoy has the most relax sound with huge soundstage; the Western Electric 755a (most live like vocal) & Chartwell Ls3/5a 15 ohms (smooth silky sound). The best tubes are the 6L6/KT66 as they have the most balance sound, sufficient strength yet not rough..

Enjoy your music!

No comments: