Saturday, March 10, 2007

Fishers Family


For vintage pre amplifiers, my favourite include the Marantz 7 and the Fishers 400CX as well as the Fisher 50c.


Having cut love my set of Fisher 50C to my good friend Sing, I have somewhat felt a strange lost feeling.....The lost feeling has prompted me to continue my search for these fishes!

This evening, I have managed to find another set of Fisher 50C from another good friend, and now with matching original cabinet (but at more then 33% cost more then my previous set)

Previously, since I have 2 set of power amplifiers (Leak 12.1 & WE 124), I would have to constantly switched the pre amplifeir cables from one set to another, whch is abit troublesome. Now, with 2 pre-amplifiers, I could now just turn on and play without needing to switch cable.

My set in HKG now consists of the following combination:

Fisher 50C pre-amplifier + Western Electric 124b amplifier + Western Electric 755a
Fisher 400CX pre-amlifier + Leak TK12.1 + Rogers 15 ohms LS3/5a or Tannoy Mini.

Some personal observations:
For me, the Marantz 7 pre-ampliefier is a classic with strong Mid and a "neutral" charateristic. The Fisher 400Cx has a more "musical" sound, having more high & low thereby giving a more dynamic overall sound. For the Fisher 50C, the sound is more emotional and it allows one to be fully drwan into the music. Whch is the best? I guess, it will be a difficult question to answer as it all depends on taste and hifi matching.

When I want a more dynamic sound, Leak TL12.1 + Fisher 400CX is the answer. If I prefer a more smoothing music with strong natural vocal, I would use Fisher 50C + WE 124. But if one prefers to have a much more enegized vocal and lively mood, I think Fisher 400CX + We 124 gives me the atmosphere.

Thus, it would seem that my Power amplifier Leak TL12.1 + Western Electric 124 will be here to stay for a long time as well as my vintage Tannoy Canterbury, Western Electric 755a and Chartswell LS3/5a 15 ohms speakers. For the pre-amplifiers, my Marantz 7 and now Fisher 400CX were the proven "survival" ( as I often will eliminate the item not able to live up to its name and performance). Now, the Fisher 50C are on its testing stage on the "survial" lists!.

Thus, anyone keen on my spare Rogers 15ohms white belly can write to be for sales discussion.

Cheers!

No comments: