Monday, March 26, 2007

Western Electric 120a - replica


Last week end, I have travelled all the way to Kwai Fong to listen to "Western Electric Wu" 's graet work.
Sifu Wu is a very experienced SIfu in making replica Western Electric gears using genuine Western Electric spare parts. Many of his customers are Japanese, Americans as well as local.
Having found the WesternElectric 124b, I have always desire to bring the best out of my WE124. I have used both Fisher 400CX and Fisher 50C and I find both very nice. The Former has greater speed, better control with full Orchestra music while the latter has very strong emotional sweetness.
However, I have always desire for a complete Western Electric package namely Western Electric 755a speakers, WE 124 + WE pre-amplifiers. However, the high costs and rarity make the search for a pre-amplifier a very diifcult one.
Moreover, many of the pre-amplifiers have such gain that modification is neccessary in order to to convert it for home use. When I was at Sifu Wu's workshop, I have the opportunity to listen to the following:
WE 106 pre amplifier + WE 91;
WE 120 pre amplifier + WE 91
WE 120 preamplifier + WE 86.
Between the WE 91 and 86, I must say that I love the WE 86 very much. For the pre-amplifiers, I like both WE 106 & 120. The WE 106 has a wider soundstage while the WE120 has very strong vocal...
I have tried many vintage pre-amplifiers (Marantz 7, Fisher 400Cx, Fisher 50c, Fisher 80c) but I have yet to experience newly made "modern" pre-amplifier. Initially, I ws waiting for the 27M using ballon tubes but the long waiting time has made me lose interest. The BBA was another that I have thought of trying but I get no response from the seller. Now, my 3rd attempt goes to Sifu's Wu "new" pre amplifier using vintage genunie parts...

No comments: