Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hifi Equipments

Listening to music is a hobby. It helps to reduce stress and gives one sense of peace. Hifi equipments are the vehicles that help to reproduce and deliver the music to our ears. A "good" set of equipment (which is subjective) will help to deliver the music that suits one's taste.
The problems with many vinatge audiophiles are that different brands, makes and types will reproduce sound which will appeal to different set of ears and when playing with different types of music. Thus, like what Alan said, finding the muisc direction is critical in order to avoid spending too much money & time on equipements.
I like female vocal alot which is why I prefer the Western Electric 755a speakers as well as the Western Electric 124 amplifier which emphasize on strong mid. In the end, I think one could only manage at maximum 3 sets of amplfiers at home at a given time. The plugging and unplaugging and the shifting will take up more time then active listening of music and enjoyment of music if one wants to rotate the various amplifiers that one has.
For 2006, I am glad that I have managed to streamline my amplifiers to a very manageable level and keeping only those that I really like namely:
  • Leak 12.1 or Western Electric 124B + Fisher 50C + Western Electric 755a (HKG)
  • Western Electric KS 16608 + Marantz 7 + Rogers LS3/5a 15 ohms (SIN - Study room)
  • Pye Mozart + Tannoy Cantebury (SIN Living room)

Spares speakers that I would cut love to collectors are:

  • Phass fullrange speakers.

I am glad that I no longer participate in the rat race competition of owning the most number of vintage amplfiers! In addition, selling hifi equipemts in teh Review 33 is really a pain. Firstly, there are those who say they would come but didnt turn up. Secondly, there are those who came and spent 3-4 hours listening and didnt want to buy. Third, ther are those who asked you to reserve the amplifier for them but didn't want to put down deposit.

There was one occasion when I advertised for sale of vinatge Tannoy and one guy called Chow came. Aftern much audition, he has mentioned that he was making an audition on behalf of a friend overseas and he could not confirm and still wanted me to reserve for him for 12 hours. I have told him that it will be first come first serve and there will be another interested buyer who is on his way to test the speakers. I have told him that unless he place a deposit, I will let the other interested party view and if the second buyer didn't want, I will then reserve for him for 12 hours. In the end, the other party Mr. Sin paid the $$ and took the speakers.

This incident occuured close to 9 months ago. Unfortunately, Chow has mentioned in the recent R33 post claiming that I have broke my promise. I am always amused that a well educated person can be so self centered that he only see his point of view and claiming that he is right. If he really wanted the amplifier, all he needs to do is to place a small deposit and I would have kept the amplifier for him. However, despite hours of audition, no deposit was placed, plus the undertainties of the need to check with overseas friend before he could help his friend buy. I have sold the speakers in a very friendly and low price in the hope of quick sales. With such customer, who has refused to place deposit and still insist of seller reserving the speakers, I wonder will any shop willing to do such a deal? After such an incident, I have began to see how a person character is not based on his level of education or his job or his wealth but by his manners and the way he carry himself.

I have checked with some of my audiophile friends and it seems that they have similar experiences too.

Phew..What a relieve that I have managed to streamline my amplfiers! : ) My family members will be glad too!

No comments: