Thursday, December 14, 2006

Western Electric 124 - Finally got it!












Yesterday night was a very eventful night as I have finally collected my fully restored WE 124B amplifiers together with the NOS Western Electric 350B tubes, depsite having suffered long flight delay and heavy rain!

My pair of WE 124B were specially selected from the wall of Western Electric in order to ensure the best matched.

The listening session at the workshop was great as I was able to listen to a varieties of music using the WE124b amplifiers. I must say the WE124B was truly a great pair of amplifiers as there were able to reproduce music in its original form and it sounded very natural and smooth, which suited to my taste and preference of music.

I have AB test using both the vinatge 6L6 tubes and the much famed NOS 1940s WE 350B tubes. The WE350B tubes has much more depth, warm and authority vis-a-vis the 6L6 tubes! I have decided not to have th 618 line input as the gain would be too much for hifi use at home. Using the money "saved", I have used the $$ to get great tubes such as the NOS WE350b. The prices of the WE350b tubes will varies according to condition as well as the year of production (1940s, 50s,60s,70s,etc).

Special wooden boxes were made to ensure the safe transportation of the WE 124. Even though the boxes of WE124b were heavy, my heart was filled with so much energy..

With the acquisition of the WE124b, I think I have found the "ultimate" amplifiers that I desire! With the WE124 amplifiers, I feel that my decison of letting go some of my other amplifiers was a right one as "Quality" is more important than "quantities", where less is more..

I would continue to streamline my other amplifiers such as the Pye Mozart HF10, Sound Master No 36 and WE KS16608 (mint condition) in order to get a pair of Brooks 12A using 2A3 tubes. If I am able to streamline to that, my amplifiers set will look like these:


  • Marantz 7 + Brook 12A (to replace KS 16608) + Tannoy Cantebury or LS3/5a 15 ohms
  • Fisher 50C + Leak TL12.1 or WE 124 + WE 755a speakers

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and may all your Hifi dreams come true!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello:

I have a huge collection of antique Magnecord Trasports, Tube Amps, Test Equipment and thousands of parts that I'd like to sell

Please visit my website www.bargin.biz I just put up to start selling this stuff, again my prices on the website are very negoatible, so don't be scared off. If you want this stuff, contact me and we can make a deal!

I know I have many very rare parts and pieces, and I know there are people looking for it! I want to help.

Be sure to look at my "more images" page for hundreds of pictures of the thousands of parts I have not listed or inventoried yet. Again, send me an email or call and let's make a deal.

Give me a call to discuss.

Thank you, Chris
www.bargin.biz