Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Western Electric 124B (after restoration) : )










My pair of Western Electric 124B amplifiers have been carefully cleaned & restored by an experienced overseas Sifu using NOS vintage parts in order to keep its originality and ensure it being able to be restored back to its glorious days of the 1950s.
There are two version of the Western Electric 124 amplifiers namely the Silver version (from circa 1939-41) and the Gray version (from 1942-1955) and 5 types A,B,C,D,E (made for different purpose). The Silver version is more expensive then the Gray with the Silver version being older and rarer with better Mid sound. The disadvantage of the Silver version, on the other hand, is that most of the caps and resistors and output transformer tends to be leaky and "dried" making it neccessary for complete overhaul in order to be able to perform in its optimum. However, complete overhaul will affect the originality and "re-sale" values of the amplifiers. Moreover matching the early version is also a challenge which explain why the high prices. It would be very nice if one could find a nice pair of Silver WE124 but one must be prepared to pay top dollars to get them as most nice WE amplifiers are in Japan now!
Even though the gray version is from the later period, the advanatges of gray version includes the slightly "cheaper" price, in better condition, and is slightly easier to matched them into twin pair having the same alphabet.
According to Alan, an expert in WE, Fishers & Pilot, the differences from 124A to E are from the input section which were made for different commercial objectives. Alan has mentioned that the 124D is not suitable for home hifi use as the gain are too high. I must really thank Alan for bringing me into the world of Western Electric!
The prices of the WE124 amplifiers depended a great deal on the conditions of the amplifiers, its originality and whether it is "matched" pair or not. Besides, the prices will also depend on whether it includes the front input (618C, 170B, 285L,618c, 618B, 618A) and what tubes (WE350 or 6L6) comes with them. I was told that sometimes in order to make it into stereo monoblock, there may be occasions, inevitably, where one unit is WE124a while the other is 124B.
As such, luck often plays an important part in the search for WE124 amplifiers as they are so rare that often "option" is a luxury rather then the norm. This is the reason why it has taken me so much time and pain to find a matched pair & in good working condition. I have seen a few set of WE124 namely We124B & 124c and I have been told by many experience audiophiles that it is near impossible to find WE124 now as the Japanese collectors have bought them all.
Like what they often say, "when there is a will, there is a way". I have bought the WE KS 16608 and tried listening to the the KS16608 in order to see if I really like the sound of these amplifiers with strong emphasis on its Mid.
"Owning" the KS16608 has also invited lots of sarcastics remarks by audiophiles in HKG saying that the sound is rubbish, not the REAL Western electric etc..which I must say was quite discouraging as many tend to have a very biased mindset. However, I know that the KS16608 could not be so bad (being the decendent of the WE124) and after I am sure that I like the sound of the WE KS16608, I have to deliberate again for a long time before finally making the descion to take the "jump" into the world of Western Electric.
In order to be able to afford these WE124B, I have to cut love the Radio craftsmen C500a and the Fishers 400CX, Mcintosh MC240 in order to free up some funds for the quest of the Western Electric dream. These pair of amplifiers have costs me my holiday or another unit of vintage watch.
Next Week, I will need to fly overseas to "collect" the amplifiers which is quite hard work but rewarding. After so many months of trying, asking, buying, listening, selling, and then buying again, I have found my own hifi direction which is the true advice from Alan. In the end, I think I would go for Quality rather then Quantities as I have never intended to be a "collector" of vintage amplifiers owing to space constraints. In the end, I would most probably keep the Leak 12.1, Western Electric 124B, and if I am able to sell my Pye Mozart HF10 & Mcintosh MC240, I may search for the Brook 12A which is also a perfect match for my Western Electric 755a speakers..
The dream of Leak 12.1, WE124 plus Brook 12A ..will really make my world, like what Louis Armstrong will sing: "what a wonderful world"!

No comments: