Sunday, December 17, 2006

More tubes for the 124 - 6J7




The Western Electric 124B amplifiers use 6L6 (350B), 5U4G and 6J7 tubes. This afternoon, I went hunting for vintage 6J7 tubes. As these tubes were not so commonly used in the modern amplifiers or vintage ones, the prices are relatively cheaper then the other tubes.
I was lucky to find 8 units of the GEC NOS 6J7 tubes for my 124b. There are two types of 6J7 tubes one in metal format and the other in glass coke shaped bottle tube format with the latter being more expensive and better sound.
I find it very "painful" to pay for tubes as the vintage tubes prices are almost as high as some vintage amplifiers. However, like what they say: "Good tubes come with Good sound". Thus, to pay for tubes is a process that one has to go through. The need to pay for tubes has further reinforced my belief in having focussed in amplifiers. I have stramlined my collection to amplifiers using 6L6 tubes so as to minimize the need for storing of all kinds of tubes.
In my opinion, amplifier using EL84 tubes sounded sweet but it lacked power. Amplifiers using KT88 tubes (e.g Mcintosh MC275) sounded strong but rough. Amplifiers using the EL34 tubes has power and speed but the sound is not refined. The 300B tubes sounded refine but lacked the dynamism. Thus, the 6L6/KT66 tubes amplifiers are the most "balanced" amplifiers with sufficicent power and yet refined.

No comments: