Friday, December 15, 2006

Western Electric 124 amp with 755a speakers











After a long wait and long journey, the WE 124 finally reached home. This morning, I have finally managed to take the amplifiers out from its box and connected it with my Western Electric 755a. Finding the Western Electric requires lots of luck as it is not easy to find as many collectors will only buy and they rarely sell.


Getting the We 755a speakers was the first step in painting the overall Hifi picture. The serach for the WE124 was another challenge as I have very little knowledge of the amplifiers plus one rarely see the amp in the shop. I have went to the Hifi shop at Hong Kong Central on several occasions wanting to audition the amplifier but the sales lady always remarked that the amp are in the warehouse and the boss was not around. I must have visited the shops more then 5 occasions but all without success. I have also reqested a vintage hifi shop to bring one set in from US but after months of waiting, the shop at Tak Fak was still unable to find them. Without much choice, I would have to search overseas for them.


Finding the amplifiers is the first task. Matching them is another challenge. Luckily, Mr Huang has ten units of WE 124 amplifiers for me to select and match. He has managed to matched mine with both having the same WE 124 "B" series and the serial nos is relatively close serial nos of 1613 & 2059.
The music from the 124 was exceptional naturally....西电 WE124单声道功放

No comments: