Sunday, December 17, 2006

Hifi Taiwan






Besides Japan & Korea, I think Taiwan has the next largest collection of Western Electric amplifiers as the Taiwanese has traditionally been closed to the United States.


I was lucky to have met Mr. Huang who has carefully selected, matched and restored my Western Electric 124B. He has more then 10 sets of WEs 124 for me to choose. What a luxury! I must say!


According to Mr. Huang who has sold more then 80 sets of Western Electric amplifiers in Taiwan, it is getting harder and harder to find good condition and matched pair WEs and the prices are getting higher and higher.


The Tawanese audiophiles generally prefer US made amplifiers. In addition, owing to the availability of space, they tended to own larger speakers. For some serious audiophiles, many of them would go for the professional hifi equipments such as the Western Electric, Altec, RCA, etc..

I was told that Editor Chan was in Taiwan for visiting of the Taiwanese audiophiles last week. We can most probably read it in next month's issue of Tube world..

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey my email is jcmisshome@hotmail.com how can i get in touch with Mr. Huang! I am looking for a pair of 124!!!

Unknown said...

I am currently in Taipei!