Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Testing of new tubes

I have changed the metal 6J7 tubes to the glass 6J7 tubes this evening to hear the difference. The sound become warmer.
The R33 "Westen Electric" thread is really quite a quiet threads. I guess many of the Western Electric users were too busy to participate in the forum making me feeling alone at time..
I think the most active threads are the LS3/5a, Leak, Eico and Tannoy threads as there are more members partcipating together with a few senior audiophiles who has nice collection of the various amps in huge numbers. My good friend John has finally managed to complete his collection of Leak amplifiers! Well done!
With only two set of system in Hong Kong, I have managed to rotate and listen to them in great details. The Leak TL12.1 amplifiers have deeper sound stage while the WE124 is very emotional and natural.
These few days, I have tried using WE350b tubes, the Silvania 6L6G tubes as well as the RCA 6L6GA tubes. I like the WE350B most with very good sound stage, ability to repoduce the sound in its purest form. The RCA 6L6G has very transparent and clear sound. The Silvania 6L6G has a slight warmer sound then the RCA but have less emotion.
The weather has been very cold these few days. Having moved to my new aprtment, I ahve yet to buy a heater for the apartment. Luckily, I have the vintage tubes amplifiers which produced some heat to help warm up my room. The music from my favourite amplifiers have warmed my heart many times even though the weather was cold..

No comments: