Sunday, January 14, 2007

Western Electric KS 16608 amplifiers at ebay


The prices of the Western Electric families of vinatge ampilfiers have increased quite a fair bit during the months.

When I first get to know the KS16608, it was selling at HK$10,000 Recently, a pair of nice WE KS16608 was sold for US$2025 + US$275 (Shipping) = US$2300 (HK$17,250) during the weekend reflecting an increase in awareness over these non "household" amplifiers system.

As these were made for amplification usage by tele-communication company, they were built to withstand long hours of usage. I have bought two pair of these KS16608 amplifiers in the past and I only sold off one pair away to make way for the arrival of the Western Electric 124 amplifiers. Many has claimed that the KS16608 are not good sounding amplifiers which I disagree totally. I wonder how many of these critics have listened to these fully restored KS16608 before making such judgement?

For me, it is because of these nice sound from the KS16608 that has given me the encouragement to go for the Western Electric 124! I still kept one set of near mint condition KS16608 in Singapore. The Western Electric using 6L6 tubes is better value and sound then many other vintage amplifiers and if you are a connosieur, you will know what you are buying. The Korean & the Japanese were the first few who has an open mind to accept these Western Electric licensed products. Why can't we have an open mind and open heart as well? Of course, for it to have good sound, it must be fully restored and one must use vintage coke bottled 6L6G tubes and coke shaped 5U4G.

In my mind, I think many will wait and continue to be sarcastic and "complaint" until the WE KS16608 crosses the HK$20,000 price point benchmark before they realize the "true values" of the KS16608. By then, they would have missed the boat!

I have seen it happended before for the LS3/5a spekares & recently the Tannoy speakers. When I first bought the vintage Tannoy Chartsworth 12 inch gold monitor in original cabinet, it was only $14,000. Many critics complained that the "mouth" of Chai Chin was too big (when comparing with the LS3/5a) then. Later, the price went up to $17,000 in October 06 and the selling price now is HK$25,000.

There are two kinds of audiophiles. One who identify and lead while the others follow...


No comments: