Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Vintage Tannoy Fever

Recently, there is a huge interest in vintage Tannoy speakers among the audiuophiles in Hong Kong. When I first bought my Tannoy Chartsworth and the later upgrading to Tannoy Cantebury, many of the audiophiles were still upholding the cult status of the LS3/5a speakers. The LS3/5a speakers were really a very good pair of speakers but it has its limitation, especially when one listens to full orchestra music.
As a result of the srong demand and short supply, the prices of these lovely Tannoy have escalated in a very fast speed, making me glad that I have bought my Tannoy red monitors in original cabinet eariler. I am very sure that the prices of these speakers will go up even higher as a result of demand from the greater China (who are currently focusing on the American JBL & Altec). In addition, I am also sure that the prices Western Electric and Altec 755a fullrange speakers will also move up as these are now niche speakers played by a few..
For those of you who is looking for a nice large Tannoy speakers, I was told by some expert that if your living room is more then 500 sq ft, you should go for the 15 inch Tannoy speakers while a living room size of 300-500 sq ft should go for a 12 inch speakers. For bedroom or smaller living room, a 10 inch speakers will be sufficient, otherwise one might experience some booming sound..
The prices of vintage Chartsworth Monitor God were HK$14000 (in Jan 2006). It went up to HK$17,000 in Oct 2006. There is one set selling at Tak Fak shop at $25,000 (Jan 2007)...Wow!
Enjoy!

No comments: